Meet Our Pastor
Rev. Robert Van Horn has been the pastor of the Seventh Day Baptist Church since September 1990. He is an ordained and accredited pastor within the Seventh Day Baptist denomination. Pastor Robert and his wife Lana live in Pataskala and have two grown children and six grandchildren living in the Columbus area. In his spare time, Pastor Robert enjoys camping, history, being a grandfather, cooking & entertaining, and all kinds of music. (NOTE: Pastor Robert has announced his plans to retire this fall with his last Sabbath in the pulpit being September 28, 2019. We have a Pastoral Search Committee actively & prayerfully seeking a new pastor for our church.)
Meet Our Church Officers and Board
Our church elects officers at our annual business meeting. Together with the pastor, these people make up the church board which acts as an advisory board to the pastor (as needed) in addition to handling their other defined responsibilities:
- Church President & Vice President: The President presides over regular church business & board meetings; the Vice President will fill in for him as needed;
- Church Treasurer: Manages the church finances, including weekly offering and paying the bills;
- Church Clerk: Takes & distributes minutes from all church business meetings and prepares communication on behalf of the church as needed;
- Sabbath School Superintendent & Assistant: Oversees selection of teachers and materials for the weekly Sabbath School program;
- Corporate Agent: Required legal representative for our church registered within the state of Ohio;
- Appalachian Association Executive Council Reps: Two people to represent our church along with the pastor to meet with representatives of other SDB churches in our regional association of churches;
- Trustees: Six members (2 elected each year for 3 year term) who manage and care for the physical church property (just 1 representative on the church board);
- Deacons: Team elected for 5 year term to prepare & serve communion, manage & distribute a fund for financial assistance needed by the congregation, and provides assistance to the pastor as necessary to care for the congregation (just one representative on the church board).
Many others help out in regular activities and we are proud to say just about everyone who is a regular attender is involved in some ministry capacity. As you look through our website, you will see our church people involved in Sign Ministry, Sabbath School teachers, Praise Band members, Worship Leaders, Pianist, Visual/Sound Booth, leading special Fellowship Events, and more.